Thursday, September 22, 2011

Back to the Ditch

Here we go.  Josh and I are setting out sights westward once again.  Our goals are similar to the last time he and I drove into Yosemite.  We would love to get back up and climb on El Cap, the greatest stone other than that of Movement Climbing and Fitness.  Also, there are several long free routes scattered on other formations that we've got our eyes on.  I'm hoping to meet up with Nuno-Miguel, my longtime buddy who's now in the Bay Area, for some bouldering, too.  He's not the only friend who is slated to be out there, as multiple other people I've talked to have plans for a Valley autumn, as well.

The Diamond
Work projects have me running a little ragged lately, and I'm excited for some downtime.  I'm sure I'll still have the Blackberry in view more than I want, and check emails with nervous glances, but I'm laying some chips on the idea that once I break free from Denver/Boulder's gravity, I'll be able to melt into the road trip rhythm.  There is something so special about the chance to conjure up big goals, and take the time required to accomplish them.  I'm quite excited. 

That said, I've been battling a bit of my own expectations for this trip.  With the success we had on The Salathe Wall last year, I'm trying to remain focused on this year's challenges, and allow that it's still going to be intimidating to be back up on such huge walls.  It's fun to watch my brain swing from fear to fanatical excitement when I think about the climbing in what's unquestionably Mecca for rock climbers.  Above all, I'm really excited to have the support of my girlfriend while I'm away.  Beyond that, knowing that Josh and I make a great team is inspiring confidence in me.

He and I were just up on The Diamond for a big, car-to-car push up the Yellow Wall.  It was my second trip up to that iconic face of Long's Peak, after last year's voyage up Pervertical Sanctuary with Alex Macpherson.  Josh and I added some difficulties by avoiding the bivy at the base, and taking only one rope onto the face, thereby committing ourselves to a summit push in lieu of any optional rappels back down the face.  The added comfort of being somewhere familiar limited the intimidation a bit.  I'm hoping that this second trip to Yosemite is similar in that regard.  It's still going to blow my mind, without a doubt.  I'm hoping, however, that I can enjoy the experience with a little less anxiety than I felt the first time I dropped into "the ditch."


Josh nearing the finish to the North Chimney

I'm going to try to keep the blog updated while I'm out in California.  Please stay tuned.  I'm very excited for my new camera, and the chance to post some better pictures for your viewing pleasure.  One of the nice things about going out to Yosemite is that this national park's management plan is catered to comfort.  There are plenty of places to catch a wireless signal, plug in the old computer, and spray endlessly to the folks back home.  I don't want to paint a totally plush picture...there are still bears roaming the valley, and there aren't escalators to the top of any rocks (yet).  Adventure hasn't been completely eliminated, thankfully.


So Wally is packed up, my work is as done as it can be for the moment, and we're setting sail.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Followers