Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Growling Wolves

I've been trying to balance my studies for the pending (at this moment, only about 4 hrs 15 minutes away) GRE test with my desire to rock climb, write a blog, make money, and listen to music while I huddle in my apartment. How about trying to combine all of them?

The vocab I've been studying has enervated (taken away my energy) me. I've been trying to race up to Rifle on the weekends for climbing junkets (pleasurable vacations,) but am typically left exhausted and ready for sleep, not study. Though the preparation is leaving me irascible (easily made angry,) it's ephemeral (lasting but a short time) and I'll soon be left to my own devices (more climbing and daydreams.)

I'm taking a little solace in the fact that I just managed to do my first 13B. I'm trying to take the same approach to success as I've initiated on climbing projects. Namely, that patience is an ally and though my initial efforts, whether in climbing, study or otherwise, may be inchoate (not fully formed) or even jejune (insignificant, uninformed, and lacking,) I'll eventually become a paragon (model of perfection) of esoteric success. Scaling rocks and performing on an inane SAT for grownups seem equally capable of leaving me feeling like a diffident (lacking self confidence,) but eventually, I'll figure it out.

Work has been going reasonably well recently, especially if you take into account my planned absence from the desk for all of November. I can't say it with enough ardor (intense, passionate feeling.) Climbing in Kentucky for a month leaves me garrulous (tending to talk a lot.) Talk a lot? Sure! Talking about routes to do, areas to visit, and the prospect of some serious time away from the familiar. Perhaps such a trip is taken with temerity (reckless boldness) and I'll be unemployed upon return, suffering a professional opprobrium (public disgrace,) but I've been obsequious (eager to please) around the office lately. Maybe if I put some dues in now, I'll be allowed to roam free.

Enough of that! And I'm not going to try to bore you with special right triangles, probability, or trains heading due north at 48 miles per hour while another leaves Chicago on Tuesday. I'll leave that to the rotten fink bastards from Educational Testing Services, and I'll be their subject.

Speaking of subject, let's change it. And turn down the volume if you're at work but still want to jam to the links. My buddy Nuno just went up to see Sufjan Stevens in PA last night. Quite a feat, as he lives in the Nation's capital. Nuno is the same guy that turned my ear towards Beirut
and has been trying to get me more psyched on some obscure Avett Brothers recordings. I still prefer some of the other studio stuff from old. Either way, it's all fun to hear.

I've got to run downtown towards the campus. I have plenty of memories from studying there during my college days, but those are quickly fading towards history. It's wild to think. I'm getting older, and I'm stuck in this halfway reality. Still here in Boulder, but bearing down on 30 while wearing the same shoes. Maybe it's time to move along, and maybe the train leaves today.

Stay in motion, Voyeurs, listen to beautiful music, and don't waste another minute of the day.

No comments:

Followers