Tuesday, March 18, 2008

garlique

My friend Rob isn't a doctor. This mere technicality doesn't stop him from dispensing medical advice to anyone who is potentially ailing. Although, to his credit, Rob's advice is rather modest. At the hint of any cold bug, the first words out of his mouth will be "zinc and garlic." Zinc and garlic, huh? Sounds innocuous enough. It's not some witch concoction that requires vast quantities of eye of newt, frog blood or the like. That shit might kill you.

A few days ago, I started feeling a little off. I know it's flu season, and I hate being sick, so I thought, "what the hell?" and headed to the grocery store to pick up the goods. Zinc pills...check. Garlic....hummm. Pills or cloves? Something about the pills seemed a little fake. If you're gonna take garlic, take garlic. I opted for a big head of the stuff, and that was that.
Back home, I popped some of the pills and peeled out 3 cloves. Chewing seemed suicidal, so I opted just to swallow them down like horse pills. My breath immediately smelled like an Italian grocery.

Fast forward a day and a half. I woke up to a fever, huge cough, chills, and an aching body. Every cell in my abdomen felt like it had been hit with a baseball bat. I had the flu.

The worst part? I had a bit of gas, it smelled exactly like concentrated garlic. It was amazing. Like seeing a cat that barked or something. There was simply no connection with how things should have been. Thankfully, it's gone. So is the notion that garlic wards off the flu. Thanks Rob.

No comments:

Followers