Monday, March 24, 2008

gotan project

Every time I hear the Gotan Project, I think of New Zealand. A guy I met while climbing at Flock Hill got me turned on to the stuff, and it became one of my soundtracks while I was living there.
The problem is, Gotan Project isn't entirely uplifting. It really reminds me of the background music for 12 Monkeys, which was one of the weirder, scarier movies of the last 20 years.
I was down in New Zealand, trying to figure out what the hell to do with myself directly after graduating college, and I willfully chose to listen to this weirdo sci-fi theme music about eating bugs after a biological holocaust. Good times? I dunno. It didn't seem so cool when I was shivering my skinny ass off in the uninsulated box that was our home, starving on Jiff peanut butter my mom sent across the Pacific out of pure pity, and dirt poor 'cause the wages at the docs were shit. Not to mention the working conditions. Have you ever had a huge angry Maori threaten to kill you if you didn't "shift" the 60 pound boxes of frozen squid quicker? Well, it's as overrated as it sounds.
So now I have this new remixed tango CD, and of course, a main contributer to the tracks is Gotan Project. I wanted to be swept away to Argentina, in the time of Eva Peron and before globalization was king. I wanted to be Hemingway's Jake Barnes, except I don't speak French and I doubt the fishing in Spain was ever that good. I wanted to go to Buenos Aires and the Pampas and Patagonia and see the world untainted by age. Instead? I have to fear that a maniac will put terrible bugs in my lungs (Malos Aires, instead) and force me to work as a slave on a boat. Drat.

No comments:

Followers