Tuesday, May 6, 2008

God loves Wii

Video games aren't my forte. I have a friend who spends plenty a Friday telecommuting, i.e. playing Halo, and another buddy from high school who beat us at James Bond on Nintendo 64 using just his feet on the controller. They, obviously, are more of the target market. I haven't picked up a controller since an epic round of PacMan with my buddy at a movie theater a few years ago.
When my 10 year old cousin asked if I'd "ever seen a priest play Wii," I laughed and said I hadn't. I hadn't even seen a priest in years, other than the photos in the NY Times of the Pope's recent trip to the East Coast. Church isn't my regular hangout. The most constant interaction I have with Catholics is a running joke about sex scandals, and although the words Priest and Wii in the same sentence made for easy fodder, I refrained.
The question of if I'd ever seen a servant of God play a video game hailed as an exercise revolution for the sedentary, diabetic gamers got me to thinking. Would the Holy Trinity approve of such activity? Obviously, I have to do a little role playing to get some answers, and as such, I'll play the role of an omnipotent and malevolent deity.

"Human beings! The world you inhabit is not the one I created. You have used your ample intelligence, a gift from yours truly, by the way, to promote a relatively care free existence. Many of you have ample food supplies and proper shelter. You have killed off many of the fanged beasts which could kill you. You live in an insular world, free from much of the grief I happily send your direction. As a society, you have decided to exchange my divine gifts, destructive as they may be, for a life of leisure and plenty. Only occasionally does my wrath still find its way to your door. I gave you pestilence for a reason! Expect more, suckers."

And there you have it. Better get it now while the gettin's good.

2 comments:

Marin (AntiM) said...

I'm thinking there's a false idols angle to be had here too.

Although I thank Wii for the South Park Guitar Hero episode.

IhateregisteringASDF!!! said...

there is nothing wrong with playing halo or even watching some episodes of battle star galactica, you narrow minded heathen! if it wasnt for your boyish good looks, Id hate you.

Followers