Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My baseball! Hooray!

Venting about the scripted sadness of pinched property in my longest ever blog failed to deliver complete satisfaction. I decided that another round of bitching was in order. This time, on a climbing website called mountainproject.com.
Mountainproject is a big database of people, climbing areas, and route descriptions that allows for its users to post information and share rants and information. SCUM has its own page on mountainproject, and I decided that I should put up a note on the public forum associated with the route. A wiser man would have gently asked if anyone had taken his draw, and politely asked for it back. I, however, am not wise.

"These anchors are accessible from Sing it in Russian by stepping left after this route's crux. If you are working Sing It, you can easily hang a TR on S.C.U.M. if you have a friend that wants to do it. Don't, however, leave one draw on S.C.U.M. as a directional, as some half brained imbecile will assume you've bailed off of SCUM and steal your draw. Goddamnit! This is Rifle - If it ain't yours, leave it on the wall!"

To which there was a response a couple of hours later. A guy named Aeon told me he had taken it, assuming that it had been used by a climber who couldn't get any higher. Fair enough, and it's what I assumed the culprit must have been thinking as he took the draw. He posted that he'd get it back to me, aparently forgiving the accusations of low IQ and general stupidity.

I suppose that it would have been just as easy for him to ignore my post and keep the draw, and I don't know why he didn't take the opportunity. I do know, however, that it might not be a terrible idea to take a breath now and then and not run my mouth. I wonder if I possess ANY tact. My luck held pretty well on this one, and it looks like I'll get the draw back. This is similar enough to the act of opining about a certain Grecian sailing trip without giving credence to potential repurcussions that I have to wonder if I'll learn to think before opening mouth and inserting foot.

Followers