Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rest Through the Rain

The weather finally soured, but at the perfect time. I spent yesterday and today resting in Louisville, comfortably sleeping, writing, and relaxing at the Parrish household while the rain came down in buckets. I've been stalking climbingweather.com like any possessed sport wanker, hoping for the timely return of low humidity and prime sending temps. It looks like after today, we'll be back to just that, my planned two day hiatus coming at the perfect time.

The partner swap continues, as well. Dan is flying into Lexington in a few hours, and I'll be there to greet him at Blue Grass Airport. I'm really looking forward to riding around rural Kentucky with him as we search out some dream climbs. The partner situation has worked out really well over the entire course of the trip. First, I got to climb with Mike, and just as he was leaving town, Brian showed up. I had one climbing day between his departure and my rest days, but had a blast climbing with the cabin-mates, Anne and Reed. Reed was generous enough to get up early and head back to Left Flank with me so I could give another recon burn on Table. I think I got the beta fully figured out, and am feeling pretty confident that I can get it finished before I have to head out in a week.

It seems like Anne and Reed are going to start their massive drive back to Utah on Friday. This will leave another bedroom open at The Highlander, which is a good thing given the crowd that seems set to arrive. It's been great to have the cabin, and I boasted about it sufficiently that another half dozen friends have threatened to come in for the Thanksgiving week and crash for a while. It's going to be a party. I'm sure it will be a blast, but as I told Kathy last night, I might need a little bit of a break after that much commotion. Nothing a solo drive back to the farm can't fix. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though. I'm ready to get the posse settled into The Red and start showing off some of my favorite cliffs.

1 comment:

Ethan said...

Through all of your trials and tribulations at the RRG, I have yet to see mention of gourmet pizza or BBQ. After all, climbing is a social sport, and what could be more social than a steamin pie at the end of the day.

Followers