Thursday, February 11, 2010

Jackson Equipment Troubles

Getting back up to Wyoming with my buddy Ethan has largely been a great time. Fortunately for the visual integrity of this blog, we've taken a bunch of pictures. Some of the good ones are attached. We've also been eating great food, drinking lots of beer, and skiing a ton. Well, we had been skiing a ton. He's up on the mountain right now, and I'm running around town, pissed off at all of my stuff.

I've broken a binding that's been giving me trouble all season, and am about to head over into Idaho (just over Teton Pass, not nearly the journey I make it out to be) where they're made to try to get the manufacturer to warranty the trouble. But that's really the minor trouble, given my spare pair of skis in the car. I was able to swap the bindings and not miss a beat. The real trouble began yesterday when i was getting ready to call it a day and flying down the mountain on the tamest run of the day, some groomer named Hanna.

Like a sniper had taken me in his sights and pulled the trigger, I hit the ground before I knew anything irregular had happened. After sliding down the snow for about 200 feet, snow all down my pants but physically fine, I looked down at the damage to try to figure out what the hell happened. My boot had broken in a crucial place, and the tongue was torn from the shell. Oops. I was leaning into the turn right when the plastic gave way, and I'm just glad I didn't get hurt.

I've got to rent a pair of boots for the last day of skiing tomorrow, but luckily there's a shop that has what I need, and snow is in the forecast. Hopefully, lots of it, because the snowpack is pretty bony right now. Oh well.

No comments:

Followers