Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Return to Abaluba, A Return to The Red

It’ s been a long time since I’ve posted. When I left off, I was planning to head to
Burning Man, and figured I’ d have a report on par with my essay from The Salathe wall.

Instead of heading out to Black Rock City in Nevada, home of debauchery and cradle to
tales of transcendent chemical/sexual/musical/artistic visions, I went to Minnesota. Quite
the trade., I had to backtrack on the idea of partying my brains out because the chance
to buy a ridiculously cool Dodge Sprinter van fell into my lap. I know the term "ridiculously cool" isn't typically associated with Dodge and Sprinter, but after Josh and I spent three weeks in California in his recycled USPS Mail Van, I had to follow suit with a purchase of my own.

Not to disparage his fine Ford find, but my van, Capt. Walter (Wally) C. Lewis, US Navy (Ret.), or Wally for short, allows for even finer dirtbag fabulous road trips. The extended height allows for me to stand in the cabin of the turbo diesel, 26 MPG beast, and the interior is so designed as to allow for maximum relaxation/cooking area/sleeping quarters/boombox. I, loyal voyeurs, am very excited with the purchase. I'm sure my lovely girlfriend Julia would assure you likewise. She's been quite the trooper, allowing me to talk about beadboard paneling, self tapping screws, swivel seats and bio diesel without even a roll of her eyes.

Dan, the friend I was supposed to meet in Nevada, still maintains that the Burning Man experience was one of legend. He was patient enough to understand my leaving him high and dry in the desert. I'm sad to have missed out on that trip with him, sure...but I'm psyched he's still taking my phone calls.

Behind the wheel of Wally, I am headed out on a climbing trip somewhat similar to the one I took last fall, with a few exceptions. Instead of rolling out for three weeks, this trip is closer to five. Josh, my partner from Yosemite, and Brian, my roommate, are both planning to come out from Colorado at various points in order to climb with for a while. I’ m meeting up with about
a half dozen other Colorado climbers, as well. That part is going to be amazing. The
ones that can’ t make it, especially Julia, have me missing home, but I’ m
so lucky to have the chance to chase the autumn here in the Southeast, climbing on amazing overhanging sandstone, and doing battle once more with projects like Table. I have to be out here.

Like last year, I stopped at the farm for a couple of days before arriving in Kentucky. It’ s
been great to spend some time in central Missouri, and I got to work on the
new garage that’ s going to house mowers, machines, and tools. The major difference here on the Arth family estate is that my grandmother is battling lung cancer, and I wonder how many more times I’ m going to be able to stop by while she’ s still here. She’ s looking pretty spry, so I’ m assuming that this Thanksgiving is a very safe bet. Past the end of the year, though, and I’ m not so sure.

Morbid thoughts aside, I’ m really excited to head towards Kentucky. I have a project
from last year that I’d LOVE to finish up. I tried Table of Colors enough times to leave
my hands raw and bloodied, but couldn’t ever link the moves together into a successful
effort. I’m hoping that I’ m a year stronger, a year smarter, and a year hungrier. If none
of those happen to hold, at least I’ve got the moves, all 28 of the hardest for me, written
down in a journal from 2009. There’ s got to be some significant advantage in having
been there before.

*

*

Other than this trip and the new wheels, I’ve spent the summer spending lots of good days with Julia, working a little harder on my job, watching Arrested Development on DVD,
fishing a little more, and trying to be a bit more present in my day-to-day existence.
I’ d like to blame/credit that mentality with the lack of blog posting, but in truth, it may
have been sloth. Whatever the reason, I’ m greeting the autumn with a renewed take on
writing. Hopefully, the content will be a touch better, and there won’ t be such gaps in
between posts.

1 comment:

Julia said...

I concur: like a little boy with a shiny, new toy truck. Wally's in for the ride of his life with you...miss you!

Followers