Thursday, November 13, 2008

New project

After Rifle shut down for the season, I figured that the heavy projecting would have to wait until the spring. Wrong. How the hell did I forget about Clear Creek?
Sonic Youth is one of the more conspicuous routes in the canyon, rising steeply out of the creek just opposite a major parking turnout around tunnel 4. The route ascends an overhanging dihedral and sneaks out of three successive horizontal roofs. The moves are powerful and bouldery, but with two very good rests thrown in the mix, it feels like it can come together pretty quickly. I've been on it four different times, and with each attempt, I get more and more hopeful that it can go down.
I was down there with a couple of friends yesterday, and learned a few tricks that I'll use to hopefully send the route the next day I'm able to get on it.
I think there is a general consensus that Anarchitect, a route I've previously sent in CCC, is actually harder. I'm not sure. Anarchitect is more technical, while on Sonic Youth, you just have to bear down and toss towards some good holds and hang on to the wall. Anarchitect is certainly more my style, but I'm trying to learn how to thug through hard moves.
I'll keep you posted, and hopefully get it finished up soon to round out a really good, successful season.

No comments:

Followers