Monday, November 24, 2008

Patty bein' Patty

First off, a report about Sonic Youth.
Yesterday was my seventh day trying the route. Spending a week of your life trying to move 70 feet is pure, unadulterated slowness. Can you get up and go to your fridge and get me a beer? That's how much progress I would make in a day. Luckily, I think day 8 will be my last down there. I managed to set a new high point, where previously I'd fallen only as high as the 5th bolt, which is at about 35 feet. Now, I've twice fallen grabbing, but not quite reeling in, the absolute last hold on the route.
Tomorrow I'm headed back with Dan Knights, and am feeling really good about my chances. Mostly, it's because of Dan. He has two claims to fame. First, he belayed me on Anarchitect when I did that route back in June. That one is, so far, my best send in CCC, and I'm liking the symmetry of his presence for what should be my new personal best in terms of difficulty.
Dan's second claim to fame is that he is a world champion rubik's cuber. I don't mean it off the cuff like he's really good. I mean he boarded a plane and flew to Toronto in 2003 and set a world goddamn record for the thing. He makes up for it by being a math genius (obviously), an exceedingly strong climber, and generally a great guy. I'm dumb, weak, and horrid. Like I said, symmetry.

I'll post my results for the route tomorrow.

While baseball lacks the appeal of rock climbing in my eyes, it does have one very signifigant magnetic force: Manny Ramirez. Specifically, Manny acts like himself. With alarming regularity, he is a GOON, and sometimes he's just totally normal. The media, teammates, and pop culture just shruggs it off as "Manny being Manny."

Today, I went for Patty being Patty.

I've been working on a pipeline project for a client for over three months, and I'm really getting ready to just finished it. Today, we had a final conference call with about 15 people, and settled on some changes I'd make on my portion of the application. I'd have a two other people check on my final draft to review specifics. Chuck and Larry are the two in question, and I've worked with these two guys before. Chuck looks like Jerry Garcia, and I'd say is about 55. Wild white hair compliments his soft, nasally voice, and his background in chemical engineering is matched by his experience as a construction guru and general savant. I like him a bunch, and enjoy working with him.
Larry is a surveyor who is working on the project, and though I've never met him face to face, I imagine he looks a lot like Chuck. He is similarly experienced and thoughtful, with a level of technical expertise that I don't have. Larry has probably been a surveyor since Nixon, and he might be 70, but who knows. Larry and Chuck have worked together for years, and though I want to crack the joke about "I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry," a film about gay marriage with Adam Sandler and the King of Queens guy, I refrain.

Larry and I were on the phone today after the conference call. I asked him about the review that he and Chuck would be doing on my report. He said they'd work on it in tandem, and I could think of it as "the Larry and Chuck tag team."
I chuckled at the joke, and went back to my computer to finish the document. When I was finished, I got prepared to email it to both of them. Here is the actual text:

Gentlemen,
(Or, as Larry referred to you both, the Larry and Chuck Tag Team)
(Or, as you're known within the Mexican Wrestling Federation, El Hombre and El Vampiro)

Please take a look at the attached Plan of Development. It has the changes we talked about this morning, all tracked for ease of editing.
When I get back the version you two have settled on, I'll tidy everything up and send it along to the BLM.

Thanks very much,
Patrick (Or, El Guapo, as I'm known down South)

* * *

Now, El Hombre means "The Man," El Vampiro means "The Vampire," and El Guapo either means "The Handsome One," or "You're Fired," depending on which Spanish to English dictionary you're using.

Who the hell knows if they got the email and laughed like crazed kids on pot, or if they discussed my obvious insanity. I just hope that we can get to a point in my career when email recipients shake their heads and say, "That's just Patty being Patty."

No comments:

Followers