Sunday, January 11, 2009

Start '09 out right

January in the Creek can be a dicey proposition, but on my most recent trip out there, everything came together for a fantastic start to 2009. I've got those unmistakable scabs on the backs of my hands to prove it.

Before I left, my buddy Nuno demanded that I take a few pictures of the excursion. I brought my camera with me, but Mike, the guy I was heading out to climb with, did me one better. He brought an actual photographer. Mike knew Ben, the cameraman, from a few years ago, and the three of us headed out to the Creek to get in some winter climbing. The photos are up, and we're heading towards a post with images included. New ground for Abaluba and its devoted Voeuyers. That's right, we have a winner, and the readers have decided on their name. Welcome to a new era.
Before I get too far into the story of the trip, I should give a quick nod to Benhorton.biz for some good photos. He has been all over the world snapping pics, and has plenty of cool material.

Even with the good weather, the three of us had a bit of a cloud hanging over us as we drove south on Utah State Highway 191. We passed a cop with his lights flashing behind a car, when I commented about the perils of the Utah State Patrol. Mike, driving his truck, let out a gasp and we slowed way down. He had been stopped by Johnny Law about a month ago, and given a ticket. That's nothing remarkable, but the fact that he failed to pay his fine before the time period had elapsed was a trip changing nugget of info. We were being chauffeured by a man with a bench warrant for his arrest. This expedition would be driving the speed limit for the remainder of the trip.
The first day of climbing was perfect. We were the only climbers for miles, and had the entire Cat Wall to ourselves. I hadn't climbed on the far left side of this particular wall, and got on 8 new routes that were all spectacular. The highlight was probably "9 lives," a full 35 meter pitch with a perfect tight hands splitter crack that narrowed down to big fingers, finishing with a fun crack switch to an ever widening big hands crack that overhung to the chains. Check it out:



We walked down from the wall at sunset, cooked up a dinner, and sat around a blazing campfire. I was exhausted, and was looking forward to crashing on my new ultra-cushy Therma-Rest. I laid down on a blue tarp right by the truck, looking up at a blinding moon and stars that were completely unsullied by light pollution. I could have read a book with all of the ambient light, but was content to pull the sleeping bag over my head and wait until the morning.
A light dusting of snow covered me and my stuff when I woke up, but that didn't keep us from another beautiful day for round two. We snuck down to the Battle of the Bulge Wall for more great climbing, and while it was a bit cooler, we could still climb in t-shirts, in early January, no less. I don't know why more people don't go to the Creek during winter. Sure, the days are shorter, but with no crowds, you can climb to exhaustion with plenty of time for a bonfire.

Here are some more pics:













I've got some more pics up on Facebook, as well.

This trip has got me really excited for 2009. The year has started off on the right foot, and I hope I can keep getting chances to see remarkable areas, and climb in places that make me feel lucky to be alive. I'm already looking forward to a Rifle season that I'm hoping will be my best yet. With any luck, I'll get to see some new places, and one of the places high on the list is the Elephant's Perch up in Idaho. That's not to mention the skiing coming, including a highly anticipated trip to Squaw in February.

Life is good.

No comments:

Followers