Sunday, June 7, 2009

Long Live...

Jonny Copp. Micah Dash. Wade Johnson.

I didn't know Wade, so his passing doesn't hit quite as close to home. The loss of the other two, though, leaves me pawing at the hole left in the Boulder climbing community and wondering at the stillness. We've just lost some enormous sources of inspiration; bright souls who, in life and now in death, push their friends to new heights. This is the stunner that the climbing community braces for, but rarely feels. These three would smile at us from unthinkable locations, sending us amazing footage and pictures that would leave "Base Camp Boulder" abuzz and entranced. Without them, life is a little darker.

When I got the news, I was driving back from Rifle with a friend. Just before the news broke, we happened to be talking about Chris Klinga and Chris Lee. Specifically, the accident they were involved in just over a year ago. When I spoke with Chris Klinga about his rescue while he was still in traction in the E.R., he talked about how Jonny appeared from nowhere, and saved his life.

Micah's last post on his blog talks about getting back into shape after breaking his heel last fall. Ominously, he regarded the hard training he'd been doing as a way to make him "hard to kill in the alpine." I only wish it would have been a little harder to get him.

Hearing that terrible news on the phone yesterday, and today having the worst confirmed on the internet, I couldn't help but feel a little less safe. There are two fewer heroes in the world. Their departure is a blow to anyone who's ever tied into a rope and dreamed of big mountains, big routes, or big laughs with climbing buddies.

Be safe out there. Remember, though, that this loss is so difficult because these guys packed so much life into so few years. Their flames burned with such an intensity so as to make the darkness of their departure all the more vivid. Voeuyers, I ask of you: Live the biggest lives you can. Find your passion and live it. Find your friends and love them. And try, with me, to pick up the slack that we're left with. Long Live Jonny, Micah and Wade!

1 comment:

Kanani said...

Hi, I ran into Jonny's parents. I'm a neighbor. They appreciate all the love being sent to them. My teens did something nice in our backyard for Jonny. You can see it over on my blog, blog, Easy-Writer.

Followers